Being Bit(ten) and Byting Back

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Hitch hiking to see the "Hitch hiker's guide to the Galaxy" ... (and back again)

today is the day.

...

Saw the movie today. I think I like the book better. Salon.com had a nice review saying that it was gentle. Another review ( don't remember where) called it uneven. I think I'm going to call it disjointed. For those of you who have read the book, the story pretty much follows the story of the first book, starting with demolishing Dent's house and ending when the four protagonists plus marvin head to the restaurant at the end of the book.

Trillian's part wasn't so important in book, but the film bumps it up a little, with a little love triangle between Arthur, Zaphod and Trilian. Mos Def played the Ford's part really well. My personal favorite was the second and third book of the series, and I was disappointed when the movie ended where it did. I guess if the movie does well they might make a sequel. I think the opening sequence was a little too long. I understand the book had a little chapter in setting the tone of the book, but for the movie I thought it was a little too long. The movie should have begun with Arthur Dent waking up.

Plus the way Zaphod's other head was attached was kind of silly. In the book I always thought that he was a two headed person with a head surgically attached side by side with his original head. Trillian's role was played very well, but I think a better film could have been made if the filmmakers had avoided the whole party scene in Islington. That kind of broke the tempo of the movie as they were rescued from the Vogon constructor fleet.

I think the director tried to remain true to Douglas Adams' vision of Hitchhicker's universe, but the story was a little jerky, and left an unfinished taste in the average Hitchhickers' fan movie watching palate. It did'nt have that completeness other adaptations had, like Lord of the Rings or Spider-Main.

I think I'll stick with the book for now, Unlike the Lord of the Rings' where I thought I actually saw into the imagination of J. R. R. Tolkien.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home